Xpress 2017 on Windows 10 - no printers found

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows
joerg

Xpress 2017 on Windows 10 - no printers found

Post by joerg » 04 Jul 2018, 02:59

Hi,

no clue for this: trying to print out of xpress, xpress tells me "no printers installed yet, install one before printing" (just in german, may slightly differ in english). All other apps (e.g. Browser, Acrobat...) find printers correctly.
Installed latest updates, restored backup of preferences - nothing
tried as admin: nothing
followed the "install first" in the error window, installed a network printer, xpress doesn't see it too and comes up with the same...
rebooting/restart doesn't change anything

Worked until yesterday...

Any ideas - can't believe I'm the only one....

Thx for any advises

regards

joerg

MikeWenzloff

Re: Xpress 2017 on Windows 10 - no printers found

Post by MikeWenzloff » 04 Jul 2018, 07:13

Hello joerg,

Also using Win 10. I've never seen this error with any version so I am pretty much clueless about resolution.

Just to be sure, are any of the printers installed also marked as the default printer and are also available (Ready) to print? Seeing how you have Acrobat, it should have a print driver installed. If it is set as the Default printer can QXP see it as available to print to?

I assume that you can export to PDF? And if so, then Acrobat can see whichever printer?

Mike

joerg

Post by joerg » 04 Jul 2018, 08:50

Helo Mike,

sometimes it's magic to ask the right questions (about setting pdf for standard printer): Printing to other printers then was selectable and possible but not for the former standard PS printer. Selectig this results in returning to AdobePDF back...

At least it lead to trouble with our HPLJ 5500 and it's both PCL and PS driver. The other apps showing all printers could print PCL but not PS. Xpress seems to check some PS parameters, if a PS device is standard. That is somehow strange, but seems to be implemented this way.

Solution was to delete the PS printer and to reinstall it then.

I love windows therefore: Solution is easy: Just reinstall the thing having trouble. Best reisntall everything. Even better do not install windows at all. Quark should sell a linux version. I'm ready to pay +25% over the windows license fee... :lol:

Thanks a lot for giving me the right push!

regards

joerg

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 04 Jul 2018, 08:56

Great outcome!

I have some Xerox printers and opted to not install the PCL drivers, so my only choice is PS. I should have thought about a possible conflict!

Anyway, I'm glad it's resolved. Have a great day.

Mike

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 04 Jul 2018, 09:27

There are two hurdles I see with Linux:
  1. Hardly anybody supports Linux. Chicken & Egg, I know, and nobody wants to be the egg. Font support is a real issue though.
  2. It's costly to port a UI. Even more, as many people use Linux as they believe it's "cheaper".
However, never say never.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 04 Jul 2018, 10:36

Which Linux?...

As far as I know, there's only one commercial "sort of" competitor that covers Mac, Windows & Linux. Then there is Scribus. Seems enough Linux coverage to me. Unless having a truly great application available on Linux is used as a marketing goal because Adobe "never" will port ID over.

Most all the people I know who use Linux use Scribus. A couple years ago I was hired to fix a Scribus publication for a small publisher. The file needed fixed, they couldn't handle it so I got it. I have dabbled with Scribus over the years during its glacial development. I've never considered it a serious contender to anything, but it does work. Scribus is, to me, a pita to work with.

Return to “QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”