thin line around photographs when exporting

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
peterydeen

thin line around photographs when exporting

Post by peterydeen » 12 Jul 2018, 20:59

I have been having a problem where I export a page or pages with photographs on them. When I export I get a faint line around the image. This line does not show in Quark. Just in the PDF

max.peter

Re: thin line around photographs when exporting

Post by max.peter » 13 Jul 2018, 08:17

These lines may appear because of transparency issues. Try to export using native transparency and see what's happening.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 13 Jul 2018, 08:21

Without a sample PDF or screen shot it's difficult to assess. What type of PDF is being exported? PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3 or ?

Are these what are commonly called "stitching lines" that can happen when transparency is flattened? Or an artifact that shows up in the PDF around a image box and there is no transparency?

Mike

peterydeen

Post by peterydeen » 13 Jul 2018, 20:25

pdf captured settings .jpg
PDF A-2b.jpg
I am not sure how to export in native transparency. I tried all of the settings of export and "captured settings" works best, along with "Press", but all have the line.

I also tried to attach the screen shots of the line, but it doesnt show on my computer. I switched browsers, still the pics dont show, just the text above.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 13 Jul 2018, 22:52

You need to attach them by using the attachment tab below the reply area, and use the add files button.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 14 Jul 2018, 02:04

For exporting a PDF with native transparency you have to follow these steps:

1. Go to File - Export As - PDF.
2. In the Export As dialog box press the Options button.
3. In the new dialog box go to Transparency in the left pane and check if the Export Transparency Natively is selected.
4. Press OK, then Save.

See the attached image.

For an appropiate answer, you have to answer to some questions:
- what for is the PDF file, for web, for print?
- what PDF style are you asked to use by your printer (if the PDF is for print)
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

peterydeen

Post by peterydeen » 14 Jul 2018, 22:32

pdf captured settings .jpg
pdf captured settings .jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 712 times
PDF A-2b.jpg
PDF A-2b.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
PDF A-2b.jpg
PDF A-2b.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

This is what I get when I try and attach jpg files. I have tried selecting through the add file button and dragging them into the message box, I get the same thing. I also tried doing it in a Chrome instead of Safari, same problem

The photo I am trying to attach is shows a very thin line around a photograph. The line is maybe 50 percent transparent.

peterydeen

Post by peterydeen » 14 Jul 2018, 22:33

How about that, the photo posted

peterydeen

Post by peterydeen » 14 Jul 2018, 22:41

Thank you max.peter for the response. I checked the settings for PDF export with native transparency and they look exactly as your screen shot. I purchased Quark to put together a photography book. I have not come the printing yet, and am still making book dummies. These dummies will need to look correct as they are what will initially be sent to publishers, and it is what I am sending to the others collaborating on making the book. Printing is the ultimate goal, but a long ways off. I was an Adobe guy for 20 years, starting with Pagemaker, but I cannot afford the new cloud system they use. I am not doing advance design, and once I figure out these few kinks I will be set. I did try every PDF export option available and all had the line. The color was off on many of the options, and the "Captured Settings" and Print options yield the best color. Just that line is the only problem

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”