Digital Publishing HTML5 Reader Control: Toolbar in FireFox

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
saratogacoach

Digital Publishing HTML5 Reader Control: Toolbar in FireFox

Post by saratogacoach » 07 Aug 2018, 10:08

Hi,

Have digitally published (HTML5) an eBook that is then displayed in a full screen frame in a webpage. When I check using FireFox, no scrolling is possible to summon the toolbar to display. The bottom of the eBook is already at screen bottom plus no way to scroll. I've tried making the frame longer, placing the eBook higher in it, but no success getting the toolbar to display, using FireFox. Without the toolbar and thumbnails, navigation in this ~250 page eBook is difficult.

Other browsers, Chrome, Edge, for example, allow auto scrolling, so the toolbar can be summoned and displayed. But FireFox doesn't seem to have this feature reliably working (maybe related to display in a frame?). While likely a FireFox challenge, is there any work-around in the QP digital publishing options or configuration files? For example, can the toolbar be displayed all the time and not disappear, requiring scrolling/summoning? Any other work-around suggestions also appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

saratogacoach

Re: Digital Publishing HTML5 Reader Control: Toolbar in FireFox

Post by saratogacoach » 07 Aug 2018, 19:58

Some further checking pointed to a possible work-around. Set the "reader-config.json" toolbar visibility to "always" and the web player's reader control>toolbar will always display.

When set to "auto" it only displays when the mouse (on a desktop) is able (in full screen) to summon it to display by mousing down/scrolling down to the screen absolute bottom. My desktop with latest FF browser has difficulty with this, specifically when viewing the HTML5 published eBook which puts the published output into a frame.

So far, the problem with the work-around (seeting toolbar visibility to "always" in the config file) is that this cuts off the last couple (2-3) lines in each page at the bottom. So, to use this, I would need to re-edit the entire ~250 page eBook to get these last 2-3 lines on every page moved to the top of the next page. Whew!

Unless there is a script or other automated way to accomplish moving all of these last-2-3 page lines?

Hopefully, in the long run, Mozilla/FF will change the autoscroll so it can work for this type of situation. Or, maybe a future QXP update may provide more toolbar location options in addition to bottom (left or right side, for example), or an adjustment to the auto-triggering for the toolbar to display when the mouse cursor is further above the bottom than currently. Something like that.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 08 Aug 2018, 01:18

This works fine for me on Firefox as well. Could you please share the URL of your publication?

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 08 Aug 2018, 06:57

Hi Sarbjit,

Thank you for your reply. I have sent you a PM with details.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”