Better workflow for import small graphic in text?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
urs7000

Better workflow for import small graphic in text?

Post by urs7000 » 19 Aug 2018, 03:29

Hello,
I am looking for a better workflow to import small graphics into a text. The graphics should be anchored in the text and flow along with the text. It could by a stop sign or something else to mark the importance of a paragraph.

My workflow on my Mac is looking like that:
1. create outside the text frame a new picture frame
2. adjust the height of the picture frame to the text line height, e.g. 12 pt
3. import a image into the picture frame with menu "file > import"
4. resize image with menu "style > resize image to frame"
5. cut out the picture frame with <cmd><X>
6. set cursor in text and use <cmd><V> to insert it
that very long and complicated. I hope, there is a smarter way in Quark XPress 2018 it self.

My shortcut so far is doing my paragraph with the small image in WORD (just 3 steps to do so), save it als DOCX and import the text in QXP.

BWT:
1. Why can WORD import .svg files and QXP accept that in DOCX, when there is no chance to import directly .svg in QXP?
2. Why is it not possible to import an image directly in a text (frame). When I try it, the text will be replaced by the image. Very dangerous!

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Better workflow for import small graphic in text?

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 20 Aug 2018, 02:38

You can reduce the steps using this process:

1. Import the image directly into layout, without selecting a box. A new box of the appropriate size will be created automatically.
2. Apply an item style (you can also define a shortcut for this), to change box attributes, if required.
3. Cut out the picture frame with <cmd><X>
4. Set cursor in text and use <cmd><V> to insert it.

I understand that a direct import inside a text box will be more useful, however the above steps should only take a few seconds. You may also then copy paste the anchored box and just change the image when required.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 21 Aug 2018, 15:53

I might add, that once an anchored object is pasted in text, it's selectable via text tools. You can select it and copy it and paste it at other points in the text. Of course that duplicates your first image, but once you have placement set up it is a simply matter of dropping a new image directly onto the image box (assuming your image box is set to maintain dimensions).

I do this all the time with our legals that have attachments placed inline in the text. Once the boxes are set it's just a matter of dropping in the images.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CC17 | Suitcase Fusion 7
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 22 Aug 2018, 04:14

Hi Erik! Just to send you my greetings :-) How are you doing? Always glad to hear from you! Take care!
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 22 Aug 2018, 13:15

Jean-Marie Schwartz wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 04:14
Hi Erik! Just to send you my greetings :-) How are you doing? Always glad to hear from you! Take care!
JMS, I am doing fine. Hope you and yours are doing well too. I'd text you, but don't want to incur a charge on your end. :D
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CC17 | Suitcase Fusion 7
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 05 Sep 2018, 03:56

:-) Don't worry! But thanks for your thoughtfulness! Or use another mean :-)
Above all, glad to hear you're fine! And yes, I and mines are doing well too. Europe is thinking about getting rid of time shift, so I thought you'd be happy to know :-D Keep in touch!
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”