Font Export Failure to PDF

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Anthony Barnett

Font Export Failure to PDF

Post by Anthony Barnett » 14 Sep 2018, 14:43

If you experience failure in trying to export to PDF it is worth checking that you are not using such as a privately made or custom made font. For example, non-standard Coelacanth (based on Centaur) will not export to PDF from Quark, though curiously it will from InDesign (now abandoned for the obvious reasons).

Anthony Barnett

Re: Font Export Failure to PDF

Post by Anthony Barnett » 17 Sep 2018, 09:21

So, why will Coelacanth not export from Quark to PDF? It works in InDesign, AffinityPublisher Beta, Pages, Word. So why not Quark?

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 17 Sep 2018, 14:00

Hi Anthony,

I don't specifically remember why they fail, but I did make the regular style export fine from Q by editing the font. I'll try to figure it out again and see if it can be fixed in Q by Sirish or whomever is doing font work now.

Mike

Anthony Barnett

Post by Anthony Barnett » 17 Sep 2018, 15:44

Thank you Mike. It would be most helpful if Coelacanth could be made to work because I like to interpolate some of its glyphs, e.g. Greek, that are not available in Centaur, which is the font I usually use. (Of course I have other fonts with Greek but Coelacanth is most useful.) And, by the by, why should it be that it is a problem in Q and not elsewhere?

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 17 Sep 2018, 16:27

I have no idea why the font works elsewhere. Which fonts in the family are you using? I think the license permits me to alter them. It may only be a matter of a minute or two for each one to make them work.

Anthony Barnett

Post by Anthony Barnett » 18 Sep 2018, 01:01

Mike: The fonts I currently have use for are Light and Regular. Thanks.

Anthony Barnett

Post by Anthony Barnett » 18 Sep 2018, 02:50

Mike, if you are kindly able to provide workable versions of Light and Regular, do you give them a slightly different name so that they don't conflict? I wonder what it is you do to them!

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 18 Sep 2018, 10:00

I'll modify the light and regular versions.

I do have to change the name according to the license, though. But I'll also ping a Q developer to see if this can be fixed for the long-term.

I'll upload a ZIP file of the modified fonts here on the forum unless the ZIP is too large. In that case I'll upload to dropbox and provide a download link. If I need to use dropbox, do let me know after you download them so I can remove the ZIP.

I'll likely do this after work today so look for the updated files tomorrow. Well, my tomorrow. I'm on the West coast of the US.

I'll try to determine what I do to make them work in QXP so I can communicate to Quark. That may give a clue as to why they presently fail.

Mike

Anthony Barnett

Post by Anthony Barnett » 18 Sep 2018, 10:21

Wonderful, thank you Mike !

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Sep 2018, 10:41

OK. So here are the listed fonts in Q that you mentioned.

I didn't change the name as all I did was regenerate the fonts, though I did fix one internal name for the Light as it clashed with the Regular version.

Be sure to back up your versions. With nothing running using the fonts (font manager, Q, etc), remove them from your system (again, back them up). Then install/load these to your system or font manager.

If these are all the ones you need for now, great. But if not, let me know.

Mike
Last edited by MikeWenzloff on 19 Sep 2018, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”