Quark2017 not printing a Quark8 Document Properly

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
senseiblackburn

Quark2017 not printing a Quark8 Document Properly

Post by senseiblackburn » 08 Oct 2018, 11:35

Hey there. I publish several papers and have had to use Quark 8 because the person who rotates my ads was on 8. We recently brought that responsibility in house and I want to use 2017 which I bought last year. 2017 does everything faster and I love it. It opens up my Quark8 layouts just fine (Initially it says "Some repairs need to be made") but when I go to print everything falls apart. I have made sure that every setting in my print to pdf options is identical and I am completely lost as to why this is happening. My basic layout is 11x17 with the content down the middle and 8 ad spaces on either side. The ad spaces are snaking framed that I send to the back and then ads go over the top of them. For some reason in Q2017 when I print it removes parts of the frames and skews graphics etc...I have no clue what is going on. I publish 10 papers with a total of 320 ads PER WEEK. I do not have the time to recreate everything in Q2017...does anyone have any thoughts as to why this happening and is there an easy fix? Again I really want to use the newer version because I love working in it. See pics below of my good Quark8 print and my bad Quark2017 Print.
Good vs bad print.jpg
(523.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Thanks

Andy

UtahLlama

Re: Quark2017 not printing a Quark8 Document Properly

Post by UtahLlama » 09 Oct 2018, 13:56

don't know where to start :(
you have more than one thing going wrong here
Quark 8 and 2017 are 5 versions apart, they have changed a lot as to how they handle some file formats
psd eps and pdf being the ones most likely to give different results.
If this was InDesign I'd be thinking that placed PDFs were moving because it was updating the Links using the wrong geometry box (Media box vs Trim box)
EPS too can jump position if it jumps between artwork size vs canvas size.
The snake S borders are getting knocked out by what? do you have boxes containing the ads overlapping?

You'll need to give more info on your workflow, eg is everything in your screen grab native quark elements or are you creating pdfs of the adverts and placing them back into a complete page? Are you trying to create Black only seps/pdf? Where are elements using transparency?

senseiblackburn

Post by senseiblackburn » 11 Oct 2018, 12:12

Thank you for your reply. I agree it is a leap from 8 to 2017. We bought the business and I immediately bought 2017...unfortunate the old owners were on 8 and when I tried to print it has been a disaster and with 10 per week to publish I just don't have time to dig around much....but I really, really want to use 17.

Most of my ads are made in Quark...99%. The ads are made in their own project so I can keep track of the individual clients. I then open an "Edition" of my paper and Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V the ad into the "Template" which has all of the new content for that week and ads from the previous week. I proof then print to pdf. The snaking frames are part of my template. They are pngs that are locked in place and sent to the back. The ads are created to either fit within the frames or sometimes overlap/cover the frames depending on design.

Everything opens correctly in the project...it is only when printing that the wheels fall off. I have Quark 9 and tried opening it in 9 in an effort to slowly upgrade it to 17 but I got the same results in 9.

Just for giggles I opened a project in 2017 and removed all of the ads from the frames on the top and printed it and it still came out goofy. I am attaching a pic of the project as it should look side by side with the print (Don't pay attention to the scaling difference) and you can see it is messed up. Now call me crazy but I think I might be on to something here (although I still don't know how to fix it ) but in the past I have occasionally printed something and when the pdf opens it is upside down and I have to rotate and save it. Although part of the frame(s) are skewed or missing...I dare say if you compare them to the project side it looks like in the print it flipped the frames(If you look where the openings are)...again not sure what that means but it might be something?

Thank you again for your time.
Attachments
SBS Compare.jpg
(308.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 14 Oct 2018, 11:45

The snaking frames are coming out wrong all by themselves, I'd start by recreating them as vector, (png is not a good format for print).
It looks to me that the frames are possibly growing larger and moving up the page when printing to pdf, this could be causing most of the corruption to the adverts? I'd still guess there is a separate problem with OCALAS TALENT ad, don't suppose that is png as well?

senseiblackburn

Post by senseiblackburn » 15 Oct 2018, 08:15

Utah,

I bet they are pngs. I am not sure how to recreate them as a vector. Is that something I can convert them to in PhotoShop? Man if I can get that fixed and this working that would be awesome. Really appreciating your efforts here!

Andy

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 15 Oct 2018, 12:06

I'd use Illustrator but pretty sure you can create those shapes from scratch in many apps.
I'd create a rectangle with the radius corners and apply a stroke. Duplicate the rectangle and position the two, one above the other, you can then cut the path with scissor tool and delete the bits you don't need to make an S. Join the paths, then duplicate to get 4 of them.

senseiblackburn

Post by senseiblackburn » 16 Oct 2018, 09:27

Forgive me for being a newbie to a lot of this. Can I save a file as vector in Photoshop....I do not see where to do this.

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » Yesterday, 12:07

no newbies can't save as vector from Photoshop (Photoshop Senseis could get vector's in and out of Photoshop but you are a few years away and also have absolutely no need to go down this route to solve your problem. Photoshop Senseis are also wise enough to know when not to photoshop and drawing rectangles is beneath them :lol: ).
You could convert the PNG files colour to greyscale in photoshop and save as TIF, which might work better for you...
but not as well as vector,

senseiblackburn

Post by senseiblackburn » Today, 08:52

Utah...despite your taking shots at my "Senseidom" LOL...I think you may have fixed my issue!!!! Thank you! When I converted to Grayscale Tifs everything seems to have worked! I use pngs all the time to get that transparency thang....why do they not work well in Q2017 but they work great in Q8? Thanks man!

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”