QXP 2018 v14.1.2 (Windows) Kindle Export Fails

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
saratogacoach

QXP 2018 v14.1.2 (Windows) Kindle Export Fails

Post by saratogacoach » 01 Nov 2018, 18:44

Hi,

Book exports OK to HTML5 and EPUB, but fails to export to Kindle. See screenshot.

The search for the problematic variable(s) would need to be in this 254 page book, so I am wondering if there is an easier way to identify these variable(s)?

Also, I'm not sure what a document-level variable is? Or, how I would identify one or more, and what the fix would be?
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (12.67 KiB) Viewed 209 times
If possible, I would prefer to use QXP 2018 to export as Kindle .mobi instead of using a third-party app to convert EPUB or PDF to Kindle .mobi.

Any help appreciated.

Best Wishes,

srmareedu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: QXP 2018 v14.1.2 (Windows) Kindle Export Fails

Post by srmareedu » 02 Nov 2018, 02:08

Hi saratogacoach,
Right now, we don't have any easier way to identify these variables. try any of these options.
1. Did you enable "open eBook After Export" option while exporting Kindle. Please try once by disabling this option.
2. Please try exporting Kindle by selecting "Use Reflow Article names" in Kindle Export Options dialogue while exporting to Kindle.

if still problem persists,please share your project to srmareedu@quark.com

Thanks
Srinivas

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 02 Nov 2018, 11:45

Hi Srinivas,

I have sent you an email with the QXP file for this book draft project.

Please let me know if you do not receive the email and attached QXP file (12 MB).

Thank you for your kind help.

Best Wishes,

srmareedu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by srmareedu » 06 Nov 2018, 03:02

Hi saratogacoach,
As we discussed in mail, please install Kindle Issue Previewer from this link and verify your output.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html? ... 1000765261

Thanks
Srinivas

saratogacoach

Post by saratogacoach » 07 Nov 2018, 09:40

Hi Srinivas,

Thank you for your help. For this non-fiction guide project, after checking several options for Kindle creation, trying to keep the most features needed for my project, my best approach has been to save as a PDF, then use the Kindle Textbook Creator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html? ... 1002998671.

The KTC has an option to retain the links in the converted document, so the QXP 2018 TOC and Index features are retained and fully working in the KTC created file.

KTC as a textbook creator is a good alternative for this type of book project instead of converting with the Kindle Previewer. It retains a fixed format, a functioning TOC and Index each located where they have been placed in the original QXP project (TOC in front matter, Index in back matter). KTC flawlessly creates the Kindle file from a QXP-exported (saved as) PDF.

Hope having an alternative option helps others on the forum with similar type projects, requirements.

Best Wishes,

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”