Text import - wrong font size

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Thomahawk

Text import - wrong font size

Post by Thomahawk » 06 Dec 2018, 11:03

Hi

I am on OSX mojave 10.14, Xpress 2018

Importing text for a book, adding additional pages automatically (300 pages). I get the text from a RTF, but when importing, I specifically do not allow text formating to be overtaken. I set my font styles /paragraph styles to be 11 point and tried it with some letters in the textbox. But whatever I try, it always imports it with big letters 30 point or so.

It works when I convert the whole text to "text only" in Textedit and save a new file to import from there. The text in this case imports in right size, BUT special letters (like äöü in among others German) are all wrong, strangely coded.

Only thing that works is copy paste! Not ideal for that much data. File import should be usable!

Anyone else that experience?

MikeWenzloff

Re: Text import - wrong font size

Post by MikeWenzloff » 06 Dec 2018, 12:36

I usually export Word/RTF files out of Word as tagged text using a relatively inexpensive add-on.

As regards umlauts and other diacritics/marks, you need to save your text file as either UTF-8 or UTF-16 for them to be properly encoded and/or also the font being used also needs to be properly encoded for them. I assume the latter point is not an issue.

I have imported RTF and Word Docx files without going to tagged text, but I cannot recall the issue you are describing ever happening. It might be beneficial to upload a small sample RTF this happens with.

Mike

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 06 Dec 2018, 12:36

Hi

It seems to me you need some basic instructions. Before starting complex jobs you might want to watch to some video lessons on Quark'spage from YouTube, here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/QuarkXPressTV/videos
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 06 Dec 2018, 12:38

We've posted in the same time...
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

Thomahawk

Post by Thomahawk » 06 Dec 2018, 14:22

MikeWenzloff wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 12:36
I usually export Word/RTF files out of Word as tagged text using a relatively inexpensive add-on.

As regards umlauts and other diacritics/marks, you need to save your text file as either UTF-8 or UTF-16 for them to be properly encoded and/or also the font being used also needs to be properly encoded for them. I assume the latter point is not an issue.

I have imported RTF and Word Docx files without going to tagged text, but I cannot recall the issue you are describing ever happening. It might be beneficial to upload a small sample RTF this happens with.

Mike
Yes I know. The text-only doc was UTF-8. But it seems I missed an option in the import dialogue, where also UTF-8 has to be choosen. Now it is importing correct. The RTF was correct from the beginning, regarding the encoding. But the font size is still not what I define in Xpress, despite styles (german version, should mean text formatting I suppose) is off in the import dialogue.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”