Back to Quark after 18 years

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Thomahawk

Back to Quark after 18 years

Post by Thomahawk » 06 Dec 2018, 11:21

Hello all. I have last used Xpress productively in 2000. Unfortunately when I started doing layout work again, I was forced to use Indesign. Going back to Xpress now, to avoid the Adobe CC shit. I was using CS4 until recently, but change to new Mac forces me now...

However. I have not done much yet in Xpress, but I am already stuck on some behaviour issues:

The Hand tool: How can I set it so that I can quickly change to it by using the space-bar ? (as a hot key, not like hitting x and it stays hand, only being hand tool as long as I hold space bar)

Image text float: Standard setting is, each image put on the page, makes the text flow around of it. How can I change that setting?

Object border: Text or image object, everything has a tiny border around it. So far I could only make it disapper when deactivating guidelines. But I need to see guidelines and to not see object borders. So how deactivate only the borders?

PSD layer groups: Grouped PSD layers do not appear as groups in Xpress. I suppose thats a feature request?

Drop file on image: Also a feature request necessary? To take an image file from finder and drop it into the layout on an existing image, to replace it. Very important feature for workflow.

So, hello all and thanks for listening,
Thom

MikeWenzloff

Re: Back to Quark after 18 years

Post by MikeWenzloff » 06 Dec 2018, 12:30

Hand Tool: I use the Alt key to temporarily use the hand tool. I cannot remember the last time I used the actual hand tool either by selecting it or using a hot key. I like the Alt key method as it applies all the time whether one is not using the text tool or inside a text box...no extra spaces in the text. I assume this would be using the Opt key on a Mac. As you are on a Mac (I'm on Windows) you may be able to change the shortcut key, which we on Windows cannot.

Image text float: On Windows, one can change the wrap settings (or turn them off) in the Tools section of Preferences. Once you find it, you can see all the various "boxes." Move down to the Picture Content section, double-click on the Rectangle box, switch to the Runaround tab and change it from Item to None or whatever setting. Likely you will need to do so without a document open and then exit/restart.

Object Border: Likely you are seeing the object bounding boxes. Hit F7 to turn them off if not desired. They will turn back on when an item is selected.

Drop file on image: I very rarely drag & drop. However, and again using Windows, if I hold the ctrl key down when dragging & dropping an image onto an existing image, the original image is replaced with the dropped image. I suspect on a Mac, one would hold down the cmd key, but I don't know.

While I haven't looked at the PDF of the manual nor the on-line help (it is updated during a major revision cycle), I would suspect all this is in there.

Also, again, the closed FB group usually has responses very quickly.

Mike

Thomahawk

Post by Thomahawk » 06 Dec 2018, 14:51

Thank you for your answers, Mike.

Hand Tool: ...and I thought I´ve tried everything. Right. Alt works. And is good enough for me ;-)

Image text float: Unfortunately can not find that in preferences, with or without doc open. There are really only very few options present, also for each of the options, only a few settings.

Object Border: no, F7 changes nothing here in OSX

Drop file on image: You are right, command key dropping replaces the image inside. Thanks!

Manual: One would assume so, but no. Or without knowing how a thing is called, can not be found.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 06 Dec 2018, 17:16

You are welcome, Thomahawk...

I have little idea of how Preferences are displayed on a Mac. Here's a screen shot of a Windows system for changing how wrap is applied by default.
capture-002349.png
capture-002349.png (43 KiB) Viewed 370 times

ampegg66

Post by ampegg66 » 06 Dec 2018, 18:12

Text wrap: On Mac, they moved the Tools settings out of Preferences. Here's how it works in Quark 2017.

Create a box and format it however you like (including the text wrap).

With the box selected, go to Edit/Set Tool Preferences From Selected. You can choose to apply it to the current layout or to all future layouts. Any new boxes will now be created with those settings.

Each type of box can have its own settings (so you might have to do it for a picture box and a text box).
Last edited by ampegg66 on 06 Dec 2018, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

ampegg66

Post by ampegg66 » 06 Dec 2018, 18:16

F7:

If you mean that F7 doesn't do anything at all, you may need to go to System Preferences/Keyboard, under the Keyboard tab, and select "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

If you mean that F7 doesn't solve your problem, that's correct. Object frames and guides are all one thing in Quark, so there aren't separate visibility settings for each one (unlike InDesign where they can be displayed separately).

Thomahawk

Post by Thomahawk » 07 Dec 2018, 10:39

Text Wrap. Great, thanks, this really worked and new image boxes are set not no float.
Even Quark Support did not mention that.
Thank you!

Thomahawk

Post by Thomahawk » 07 Dec 2018, 10:44

ampegg66 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 18:16
F7:
If you mean that F7 doesn't do anything at all, you may need to go to System Preferences/Keyboard, under the Keyboard tab, and select "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."
Thanks, I know, system preferences. But makes no difference. But I did set a command key for that, this works and is okay. Well, I will have to get used to not see guidelines then. Because those object frames are a mayor disturbance.

Thanks

Thomahawk

Post by Thomahawk » 07 Dec 2018, 10:48

MikeWenzloff wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 17:16
I have little idea of how Preferences are displayed on a Mac. Here's a screen shot of a Windows system for changing how wrap is applied by default.
Thank you Mike. But in my Mac version it looks very different. Print layout - tools has a submenu (object, zoom, content, tables) each with very few options, none of what you show. But the solution of ampegg worked for me.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”