Design Professionals

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Thomahawk

Design Professionals

Post by Thomahawk » 06 Dec 2018, 11:35

Any Design professionals here like me?

I am a graphics designer coming back to Xpress. But I am asking myself, by seing all that problems in the forum and by already having my own problems

Is Xpress reliable enough?
Does not seem to me so right now. For example:

I found already on my first export: PDF export not possible because of stupid Font License. I bought all my fonts. Never had such a problem exporting. No app I have used CS 4, FH, has ever bothered to make work even more hard because of this nonsense.

I could not even get into this forum because they had an activation email problem. Took me to wait nearly a week until they solved that. PHP error, means no one could register for this forum for a week or so. Unbelievable.

So, before I start changing over all my work, what is your experience?

Like to hear from you professional designers.
Thanks,
Thom

MikeWenzloff

Re: Design Professionals

Post by MikeWenzloff » 06 Dec 2018, 12:12

Hello Thom,

The Quark forums are fairly inactive. Consider joining the Closed Facebook Group. It's very active and responsive.

I think most people who post here are professionals, new to seasoned ones.

I've been using QuarkXPress professionally since 1992 or so. I also use a few other layout applications as may be required by my clients, including ID, Viva Designer Pro and a couple others.

As regards restrictive font licensing, I haven't run into situations of QXP not embedding fonts into a PDF that also doesn't affect ID. It's "honorable" for a professional application to adhere to the internal font licensing permissions. Not all do. It might be helpful to know what the font is and what its permissions are set to. I use Windows and don't know how to access font permissions on a Mac.

As regards general, overall reliability. I have had few instances of instability and those have been related to corrupt Preferences (as I have had a few times with ID as well) or simply trying to break it (also applies to ID).

Mike

dannyrome9

Post by dannyrome9 » 07 Dec 2018, 12:11

I came back to QuarkXpress a little over a year ago and have had some similar questions to the one's you've been posting. Relearning my way around the program after almost 20 years and there's always some stumbling blocks. I've found many answers here on the forum. I have created 3 issues of the magazine Skin Art in the past year (latest going to press in a week) and that's after having used InDesign CS5 to create it prior to switching to QuarkXpress. No regrets whatsoever. I did have a problem with outputting the latest issue as PDF proofs and it boiled down to one bad image format and one font problem. Obviously look under Usage and check that everything is ok. Second, try exporting in batches (2 pages, 5 pages, 10 pages at a time, etc.). I also purchased Badia ExportTools Pro and that has a very robust preflight and with THAT I was able to pinpoint the pages in question and what element(s) on those pages were causing problems. I also used FontXplorer Pro to clean up and close a lot of fonts (I have over 7,000 fonts). Font conflicts rear their ugly heads from time to time and it's best practice to keep on top of them and clean the font caches as well. I've also found Xpress 2018 with the latest release of Mojave to be quite stable.

Thomahawk

Post by Thomahawk » 07 Dec 2018, 15:58

Thank you Mike. Indesign did not care for font licenses. Not up to CS5 at least. I do design for over 30 years now on the Mac and this is a very recent development. There are plenty enough other problems around that need to be handled, don´t need that on top of it. Like I said, fonts I purchased, some of them 30 years ago. And now all of a sudden I can not export with them. Well, I did buy them again.

However. Facebook still around? Strange. Would never join that monster.

Thank you Danny for your input. Well, not able to export because of image problems, I know that all too well from Indesign, when handling big files that came from customer (not my own stuff though).

Xpress already crashed today. I was just trying around on an empty page, opening guidelines color setting, then it crashed. But when you say you can do extensive work with Xpress, I hope I will get better experience with time too ;-)

Regards,
Thom

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 12 Dec 2018, 05:31

Hi Thom,

if you need help by Quark, please send sample files and crash reports to support@quark.com

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro: General”