trouble opening Quark 2016

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

gerrylenaghan

trouble opening Quark 2016

Post by gerrylenaghan » 06 Jan 2019, 15:08

I am trying to open Quark2016 on my desktop. I use it every day but today it won't open. The icon opens up on screen as if it is working on it but then after about a minute it just goes off. I've restarted the computer several times to no avail. Any ideas?
Gerry

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: trouble opening Quark 2016

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 07 Jan 2019, 08:27

Hi gerrylenaghan,

Kindly try by deleting the QuarkXPress preferences.

If you are on Win OS, the preferences will be available at:
\Users\<current user>\AppData\Local\Quark\QuarkXPress. Delete the QuarkXPress folder. Relaunch the QuarkXPress application.

If you are on Mac OS, the preferences will be available at
MacHD\Users\<current user>Library\Preferences\Quark\QuarkXPress. Delete the QuarkXPress folder. Relaunch the QuarkXPress application.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

gerrylenaghan

Re: trouble opening Quark 2016

Post by gerrylenaghan » 10 Jan 2019, 16:15

Thank you for responding Sirish. I did what you suggested and Quark Express did indeed start up but there were issues with my documents not appearing quite right. I found another posting that suggested recovering the preferences folder from an earlier date - prior to my original problem. I did this from my backups and sure enough everything was back to normal.

Things worked as they should for 3 days but when I went to use Quark Express today, I was back to the problem of it refusing to open. Recovering from my backup has me up and running again but I don't want to have to repeat this over and over. Something is causing one or more of the preference files to be corrupted. Are there any start up logs that might help discover which of the files this is? And maybe then figure out a way of avoiding it?

Thanks

Gerry

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”