Preferences

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

dmcgrath

Preferences

Post by dmcgrath » 07 Jan 2019, 07:08

I installed Quark 2016 on a Windows 10 laptop, activated the software and it worked fine. However, when I tried to reopen Quark it gave the following error message: This version of "XPress Preferences" is incompatible with this version of QuarkXpress. [86].
I deleted the preferences file and Quark opened and worked as normal. But once I close it down, it will not reopen giving the same error message and will not reopen unless the preferences file is deleted.
Anyone any ideas what the problem is?
Attachments
QuarkPref.JPG
QuarkPref.JPG (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2858 times

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Preferences

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 07 Jan 2019, 08:20

Hi dmcgrath,

Kindly quit the QuarkXPress application and then delete all the preferences in QuarkXPress preferences folder.

\Users\<current user>\AppData\Local\Quark\QuarkXPress 2016

Now relaunch the QuarkXPress application.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

dmcgrath

Post by dmcgrath » 07 Jan 2019, 10:59

Hi Sirish

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I typed in %localappdata%\Quark\QuarkXpress 2016.

I then deleted all the files in that folder and reopened Quark 2016, which worked fine. But when quit Quark and tried to reopen it I got the error message again ("This version of XPress Preferences in incompatible with this version of QuarkXpress. [86]"]. So I need to delete all the files in the folder again for Quark 2016 to reopen. It will also reopen if I just delete the XPress Preferences file. But when I close down, it will not reopen unless I delete the preferences in the preferences folder. This is very awkward. It's as if Quark is writing something into the preferences file that prevents it from reopening. There is no other version of Quark on the Laptop (Windows 10) and I don't think there ever was. Any other ideas what I might do.

Declan McGrath

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 08 Jan 2019, 04:33

Hi dmcgrath,

How are you quitting the QuarkXPress application? Are you quitting the application using File menu > Exit or are using shortcut Ctrl +Q? Are you force quitting the application?

Kindly try by removing the XTensions from the XTensions folder in the QuarkXPress application. While removing the XTensions, remove both the core and UI XT of an XTension togther (like Callout.xnt and Callout UI.xnt). Few XTensions are dependent on other XTensions, hence you would also need to remove the dependent XTensions.
Sirish Nair

dmcgrath

Post by dmcgrath » 08 Jan 2019, 07:02

Hi Sirish

It doesn't matter how I close Quark 2016 (File Menu>Exit or Ctrl+Q). I cannot reopen Quark 2016 unless I delete the 2 Kb XPress preferences file. If I delete that 2Kb file, Quark opens perfectly (until the next time!)

I upgraded to Quark 2018 in 2018 which I use on an iMAC. I deactivated Quark 2016 from the MAC and transferred the licence to the HP laptop running under Windows 10, for very occasional use.

As a matter of interest, I deactivated and then uninstalled Quark 2016 from the PC laptop. I then installed an activated Quark 2018 on the PC laptop and when I opened the program it worked fine. But, guess what? When I quit Quark and tried to reopen it, it doesn't reopen and I get the same error message as for Quark 2016 ("This version of XPress Preferences in incompatible with this version of QuarkXpress. [86]". I can only get Quark 2018 to work if I remove the 2Kb XPress Preferences file (as was the case with Quark 2016).

I don't know what is going on and I don't think removing the extensions folder will help, to be honest. There must be a stray file around the system somewhere which the program accesses and prevents it from opening.

I give up, I think, as I don't think I'll be able to solve the problem and I can't spend any more time on the issue.

Many thanks

Declan McGrath

dmcgrath

Post by dmcgrath » 08 Jan 2019, 10:06

Hi Sirish (or anyone else?)

Any updates or possible solution as to why I cannot get QuarkXpress (2016 or 2018 version) to work on a Windows 10 Laptop without first deleting the 'XPress preferences' 2Kb file.

Thanks

Declan

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 09 Jan 2019, 08:19

Hi Declan,

If it is suitable with you, we can arrange remote session to log on to your system to help troubleshoot the issue. Kindly suggest a suitable time for the remote session. You can mail to me at sinair@quark.com.
Sirish Nair

dmcgrath

Post by dmcgrath » 10 Jan 2019, 10:24

I had a productive remote session with Sirish this morning who eventually solved the problem: an accented "á" in a username, which the path of the Quark Preferences file doesn't like, apparently. I would never have solved that issue.

Thanks Sirish

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”