Returning to XPress

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

eyoungren

Returning to XPress

Post by eyoungren » 11 Feb 2019, 17:32

So, last year on Oct. 31, 2018 I was let go from my past job. The business was sold and they had their own people to do my job. Now I have a new job and we use XPress 2016.

Since 2013, I've been working in InDesign because I was never going to pick it up on my own. So, on-the-job paid training was the route I took.

But I've been working in QuarkXPress since version 3 and my first job was using version 4.0.4.

The last version of XPress that I used for production work was 8.5.1. I know there have been lots of changes and I intend to review things before my first day of work. But I thought I'd ask what you all think are the differences between 8 and 2016 that you use the most.

Can XPress stroke text and have it remain editable now? Or does that still require Text to Box?

Really looking forward to getting back into XPress.

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Returning to XPress

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 11 Feb 2019, 23:49

Hi Erik,

Welcome back to the QuarkXPress family!
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 12 Feb 2019, 02:01

Hey Erik,

Good that you are back home :)

You may find this useful:
http://www.quark.com/Products/QuarkXPre ... rison.aspx

Stroked text remains editable since QuarkXPress 2017.

My favourite features since QuarkXPress 8.5 are (available in QuarkXPress 2016 as well):
1. Footnotes / Endnotes
2. Content Variables
3. Item Styles and Item Find Change

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 12 Feb 2019, 03:54

Welcome back, Erik!
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 12 Feb 2019, 07:32

Sirish Nair (Quark) wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 23:49
Hi Erik,

Welcome back to the QuarkXPress family!
Sarbjit Singh wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 02:01
Hey Erik,

Good that you are back home :)

You may find this useful:
http://www.quark.com/Products/QuarkXPre ... rison.aspx

Stroked text remains editable since QuarkXPress 2017.

My favourite features since QuarkXPress 8.5 are (available in QuarkXPress 2016 as well):
1. Footnotes / Endnotes
2. Content Variables
3. Item Styles and Item Find Change
max.peter wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 03:54
Welcome back, Erik!
Thanks guys! Nice to see all of you again!

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 13 Feb 2019, 05:18

Hey! So good to hearing from you again Erik! ;)
So sorry you lost your job! I really hope you'll get sth interesting very sooner (if not got yet).
There have been so many changes since previous versions like 4, 5, 6, 7… :) I myself am lost and stuck in v9, sometimes doing jobs in QXP2017 depending on the features I need to reach my goals.

So yes welcome back and read you soon :)
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 13 Feb 2019, 07:10

Jean-Marie Schwartz wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 05:18
Hey! So good to hearing from you again Erik! ;)
So sorry you lost your job! I really hope you'll get sth interesting very sooner (if not got yet).
There have been so many changes since previous versions like 4, 5, 6, 7… :) I myself am lost and stuck in v9, sometimes doing jobs in QXP2017 depending on the features I need to reach my goals.

So yes welcome back and read you soon :)
Hey JMS. First day of work this morning. Excited (but nervous) to be going back to work after 3.5 months of not having a job. QXP looks pretty much the same, but we will see what all is required of me in this new job.

Good to hear from you again.

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 13 Feb 2019, 16:32

Hi Erik
happy to hear you have a new job.
I've been through redundancy due to company closure 3 times myself, but couldn't be happier where I've ended up, so hope it works out as well for you.

Since version 8.5 its been really rare that I've processed production jobs using Quark, I have kept my hand in testing Forum stuff at home.
So speaking generally with very little actual hands-on experience... but sound technical grounding...
v2016 if I remember has/had a nasty gotcha where if you select downsampling in your pdf Export settings bitmaps get sampled to Colour Image levels and look fairly terrible.

Each version since v9 has IMO handled placed pdfs better than the previous, though some thought 9 the best I think 2018 is the best so far. Forum posters have found different failures with each version, some that worked fine with earlier versions fail with later versions.
At some point placing EPS has become worse and less reliable, DCS>PDF>EPS>QXP>PDF isn't going to always work, I think there are scenarios where EPS gets treated like a pdf by quark so gets converted rather than passed straight through.
Output/Export 9 10 QX2015 QX2016 QX2017 QX2018 QX2018 Pro
Direct PDF export (without distiller) Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
PDF Export using technology by callas & Adobe No No No No No Yes Yes
Export tagged PDF No No No No No Yes Yes
PDF/A export No No No No No Yes Yes
Pass-Through Transparency No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 Export Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Direct PDF/X-4 Export No No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Export layers in PDFs Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
PDF Export using technology by callas & Adobe is quite a biggy . As I understand it, Callas help with the code for Acrobat Pro's Preflight and Fixups so their technology inside Quark can only help it get placed PDFs more correct. This is also going help with placed ai files.

Pass-Through Transparency : Not sure what this means, I sort of thought it meant placing a pdf that contained transparency would retain that transparency upon Export, but I'm not seeing that in my tests?

Direct PDF/X-4 Export : to me the implication here is icc profiles can be passed through to pdf... yay :D , sadly no :( , its possible to pass PDF/X-4 criteria without.

Converting PDFs (or ai objects or even idml or InDesign objects) to quark Native objects, is all possible in 2018 and its improved from 2016. 2017 and 2018 let you save out the individual images too. Its pretty cool stuff but you have to remember you are CONVERTING and not be worried about the inevitable subtle changes (for me I'd try Pitstop then Illustrator then Quark or Affinity in that order, and having to make some serious edits and justify the time involved ... but its always good to have options)

There is a lot of HTML5 and ebooks and app stuff that I haven't looked at in the later versions, probably a lot of cool stuff but of no interest to Luddites like me.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 14 Feb 2019, 03:49

eyoungren wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 07:10
First day of work this morning. Excited (but nervous) to be going back to work after 3.5 months of not having a job.
Oh great!!! So glad for you! Hope you'll enjoy it! Take care!
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”