Returning to XPress

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2016 until Nov 30, 2019.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Returning to XPress

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Feb 2019, 22:00

Hi Erik,

On the Quark website, you can download the key command PDF for the Mac.

I use Windows and it is ctrl+shift+alt+. (period) and modifies the text size 1 full point. Using the comma along with the other keys mentioned decreases one full point. ctrl+shift+. (period) does, to me, weird increments that grow/shrink as one continues pressing the combination(s).

Windows users cannot change any commands to suit one's keystroke preferences. I also have no idea if the increment value can be changed or not. It's too coarse a change (to me) without any means of using a modifier, such as ctrl+alt+. (period) for a smaller increment.

But hey, other than the question, how were the first days?

Mike

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 20 Feb 2019, 00:19

eyoungren wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:48
So…first question.

Went to reduce font size on a block of text today only to discover that CMD+OPTN+SHFT+, does not work for .1 incremental changes downward. Nor does CMD+OPTN+SHFT+. work for incremental changes upward.

What's changed? Is there a place to set this? Also, can the increment be changed or an I still stuck thinking of InDesign?
Hi Erik,

To increase font size by preset range: Cmd+Shift+.
To increase font size by 1 pt: Cmd+Opt+Shift+.

To decrease font size by preset range: Cmd+Shift+,
To decrease ease font size by 1 pt: Cmd+Opt+Shift+,

You can customize the shortcuts on Mac via Preferences dialog > Key Shortcuts

Hope you are on the latest update of QuarkXPress 2016 i.e. 12.2.3

You can download the KeyCommands Guide for Mac from the Quark website:
http://files.quark.com/download/documen ... _en_us.pdf
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 20 Feb 2019, 06:51

Sirish Nair (Quark) wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:19
eyoungren wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:48
So…first question.

Went to reduce font size on a block of text today only to discover that CMD+OPTN+SHFT+, does not work for .1 incremental changes downward. Nor does CMD+OPTN+SHFT+. work for incremental changes upward.

What's changed? Is there a place to set this? Also, can the increment be changed or an I still stuck thinking of InDesign?
Hi Erik,

To increase font size by preset range: Cmd+Shift+.
To increase font size by 1 pt: Cmd+Opt+Shift+.

To decrease font size by preset range: Cmd+Shift+,
To decrease ease font size by 1 pt: Cmd+Opt+Shift+,

You can customize the shortcuts on Mac via Preferences dialog > Key Shortcuts

Hope you are on the latest update of QuarkXPress 2016 i.e. 12.2.3

You can download the KeyCommands Guide for Mac from the Quark website:
http://files.quark.com/download/documen ... _en_us.pdf
Thanks Sirish, appreciate it!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 20 Feb 2019, 06:57

MikeWenzloff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:00
Hi Erik,

On the Quark website, you can download the key command PDF for the Mac.

I use Windows and it is ctrl+shift+alt+. (period) and modifies the text size 1 full point. Using the comma along with the other keys mentioned decreases one full point. ctrl+shift+. (period) does, to me, weird increments that grow/shrink as one continues pressing the combination(s).

Windows users cannot change any commands to suit one's keystroke preferences. I also have no idea if the increment value can be changed or not. It's too coarse a change (to me) without any means of using a modifier, such as ctrl+alt+. (period) for a smaller increment.

But hey, other than the question, how were the first days?

Mike
Thanks Mike.

Yesterday was the first day I actually got on a Mac. Been sitting with one of the designers. My main problem is not QXP or the work, but rather finding stuff, doing stuff according to a new process/workflow and figuring out how we do certain things.

I am used to simply 'creating' with whatever has been provided to me (and getting stuff I need by myself). Here, all art is provided and if there are any effects done to artwork it's either done somewhere else or we have to replicate it. Replicating means researching when the effect was created and then using the right one.

Except for one narrow instance which I am not yet involved in the work is governed by rules. I just have to learn those rules.

I am finding though that I keep reaching for the InDesign page grabber shortcut before my brain kicks in and switches to the XPres shortcut.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Feb 2019, 00:46

Hi Erik,

welcome back!

Have you seen this course:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/topics/quarkxpress

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 21 Feb 2019, 06:38

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:46
Hi Erik,

welcome back!

Have you seen this course:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/topics/quarkxpress

Thanks
Matthias
Well, now I have Matthias. I will take a better look later on tonight.

PS. Managed to square away my keyboard shortcuts. I believe there was a system shortcut that might have been overriding things.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 02 Mar 2019, 14:33

Next question…

Is there a way to convert a box from one content to another without importing anything?

For instance, I wanted to change an empty text box to an empty image box the other day and could find no tool or command to do so.

In InDesign it's a simple matter of right clicking, selecting the content and changing it to the content you want. I had shortcuts setup for that as well.

I seem to recall something in XPress 8 but maybe not.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 02 Mar 2019, 15:38

eyoungren wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 14:33
Next question…

Is there a way to convert a box from one content to another without importing anything?

For instance, I wanted to change an empty text box to an empty image box the other day and could find no tool or command to do so.

In InDesign it's a simple matter of right clicking, selecting the content and changing it to the content you want. I had shortcuts setup for that as well.

I seem to recall something in XPress 8 but maybe not.
Three ways just for you, Erik.

Easiest first. Just import an image into a text box. It converts automatically. Then use whatever right-click commands desired (like fit image to box and then fit box to image).

Second is to right-click on the box and choose what the content is:
capture-002539.png
capture-002539.png (23.23 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Third is to use the Item menu and choose what the content is:
capture-002540.png
capture-002540.png (28.65 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Take care, Mike

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 03 Mar 2019, 13:51

... and while in indesign you can change the contents of 50 frames at a time, in quarkxpress you can change the contents of only one frame. The same applies to runaround text and the like. Unfortunately, some features in Quark are very inefficient because they can not be applied to multiple objects.
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 03 Mar 2019, 20:23

Jiri Melnicky wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 13:51
... and while in indesign you can change the contents of 50 frames at a time, in quarkxpress you can change the contents of only one frame. The same applies to runaround text and the like. Unfortunately, some features in Quark are very inefficient because they can not be applied to multiple objects.
While I appreciate the nice round (impracticable) number of 50, I typically use Object Styles for consistency. And for the one-off change for fitting text that is run-around, it's easy enough to change.

As I mentioned, frames/boxes can hold any type of permissible object and one doesn't even need to clear the present contents first (which can be both a good/bad thing). While I like that there are 3 options for content, I (nearly) only use the first I mentioned.

In either application, inefficiency isn't always an issue with the application(s) themselves.

Are there things I prefer in ID? Sure. As there are in Q. They are just tools.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”