Progressive Web Apps (PWA)

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 and QuarkXPress 2018 Pro (Mac App Store variant).

For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
saratogacoach

Progressive Web Apps (PWA)

Post by saratogacoach » 16 Apr 2019, 10:43

Hi,

I have been testing the PWA feature for HTML5 export in QXP 2018. The eBook project is large, with 282 pages, plus numerous graphics (mostly PNG's) illustrating the eBook's text. Testing, using a Google Chrome browser on Windows 10 desktop, can bookmark a HTML5 export of this eBook on an HTTPS server, then shut off the internet (Airplane mode), and still be able to view the eBook which I suspect has been cached in the Google Chrome browser cache. So, this set of PWA features work.

However, a few items are missing:
(1) when viewed using a connected internet browser, the usual player/screen background color is black. The cached version is grey (less contrast for navigation arrows).
(2) navigation thumbnails are not showing the page images but instead display a missing graphic icon in each thumbnail.
(3) as far as I can tell, all illustration graphics (PNG, etc.) are missing, again showing instead a broken graphics icon.

Is there a best practices method for export or upload/deployment that will save and render correctly all thumbnails and graphics (most important), maintain the background color correctly (not as important)? Looks like the graphics are either not cached or not correctly linked if cached.

PWA is a wonderful feature. Would like to correctly utilize it.

Any help appreciated.

Best Wishes,

saratogacoach

srmareedu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Progressive Web Apps (PWA)

Post by srmareedu » 17 Apr 2019, 05:53

Hi,
we are looking into this issue.
Please share your publication URL. We will check at our end.
Thanks
Srinivas

saratogacoach

Re: Progressive Web Apps (PWA)

Post by saratogacoach » 17 Apr 2019, 07:15

sent you PM with URL

When I checked again this morning, I notice that the background color seems OK. Tested PWA using Chrome and FireFox browsers.

However, the other (graphics) problems mentioned in the original posting above remain: missing thumbnail images and missing images (illustrations) on pages.

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”