Is FONT USAGE dialog ever going to be fixed?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
amckinney

Is FONT USAGE dialog ever going to be fixed?

Post by amckinney » 14 May 2019, 14:46

I know I'm not the only one who finds the new behaviour of Utilities --> Usage --> Fonts to be more than annoying.

Now, it's next to impossible to identify whether a "faux" style has been applied or not, because picking the correct bold/italic, etc fact for a font show up with <<Bold>>, <<Italic>>, etc. at the end, even if you have the correct font picked (such as B Helvetica Bold).

Also, I've noticed when I print a document that has bold/italic/black, etc. text on top of a transparency and/or in conjunction with a drop shadow, when I go to print, I get the pop-up telling me (wrongly) that a faux style has been applied, when I know full well it hasn't. I just have to say yes to it and print anyway.

It would be nice if the proper window behaviour (showing <<plain>> after the font name when proper fonts are being used) were restored.

It would also be nice if this is fixed for the current 2018 version, and not something we'd have to upgrade for. It kind of makes me wish I had chosen to skip 2018 instead of 2017!

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Is FONT USAGE dialog ever going to be fixed?

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 14 May 2019, 23:30

Hi amckinney ,

The font enumeration behavior and the display of fonts in the font menus has been changed in QuarkXPress 2018. Prior to QuarkXPress 2018, fonts were not mapped to their font faces (type style buttons in the measurement palette/ character style sheet reflect the font face of a font). Even if you applied a Regular/ Bold/ Italic font, the font was not mapped to the font face. So you could either apply Arial Regular font and then press Bold type style, or directly apply Arial Bold font, in both cases Arial Bold font would get applied on the text. There used to be a single font menu and font styles were displayed in the font family sub menu using their font ‘Full Name’. If a user mistakenly applied Arial Bold clicked Bold button, then faux Bold would get applied.

In QuarkXPress 2018, there are two menus for fonts- font family menu and font style menu. Font family menu displays all the font families and font style menu displays the available font styles for the selected font family. The fonts are displayed using the font family name and font style name. Font styles are now mapped to their corresponding font faces. (i.e. corresponding type style button will be selected). Font styles like Bold, Black, Heavy, Semi Bold, SemiBold Condensed- all contain Bold font face (hence bold type style button will be selected). Font styles like Regular, Plain, Normal, Light, Semi Light, Condensed- all contain Plain font face (hence plain type style will be selected). Font styles like Italics, Oblique, Condensed Italics – all contain Italics font face (hence italics type style will be selected). There will be a lesser probability of faux styling being applied.

There are some fonts whose font style name and their corresponding font face don’t match. Like Impact –Regular font has font style ‘Regular’ but has a Bold font face.

If a font family doesn’t have a font style having a Plain font face, and the user applies Plain type style then font style field will display as blank.

If a font family doesn’t have font styles having Bold / Italics/ Bold Italic font face and the user applied Bold / Italics/ Bold Italics type styling, then faux styling will be applied be applied on Bold/ Italics/ Bold Italics (which will be indicated with faux style warning icon) and the font style field will display as blank.

So on clicking Bold button (to remove) in case of Avenir Heavy font, you are removing Bold font face, hence the font style changes to plain face variant of Avenir font i.e. Avenir Medium. When you select Avenir Heavy, Bold font face will be automatically selected as Heavy font style is a Bold font face.
Many font families have more than one font style which are mapped to a particular font face (like SemiBold, Bold, Bold Condensed, SemiBold Condensed, Heavy font styles are mapped to Bold button (font face)).

You can select any of these styles from the font styles menu. But, while changing a font style using the type style buttons, it can only map to one font style. On applying bold or italic font face to a font style or while removing a font face where multiple styles for same font face are available, we map to the first available font style for that face (per ascending order).

In case you use both font style menu and type style buttons to change the font styling, it might appear confusing. I would recommend that you only use the font styles menu for changing the font styles.
To cut it short, font styles are now mapped to font faces. Bold, Italic buttons indicate the font faces. So a Bold font style will have Bold font face (i.e.) Bold button will be pressed. If you uncheck the Bold button, the font face will change to Plain and plain font style will get selected. Many font styles map to the same font face like Bold, Heavy, Semibold, Black map to Bold font face. You don't need to be bothered by the bold, Italic button being pressed.

Similarly, the Plain, Bold, Italics in angular parenthesis in the Usage dialog indicate the font face of a font. So, if you select B Helvetica Bold then Bold will be displayed in angular parenthesis to indicate that Bold font face is applied. It doesn't indicate that faux style is applied.

Faux style warning is indicated by a small yellow triangle icon.

Previously, font styles were not mapped to their true font faces. All font styles were mapped to Plain font face. Hence you had an Avenir Heavy or Arial Italic font style mapped to Plain font face. This was an incorrect behavior. Even, though the behavior was incorrect, it didn't create a visible difference on the layout or output. But if you clicked a Bold or Italic button, then Bold/ Italic styling would get applied on the Plain font face. If the font family had a font style which had a Bold or Italic font face then the font style would change to that font style. But, if the font family didn't have a font style which had a Bold or Italic font face, then faux bold or faux Italic would get applied. Additionally, if the applied font style had a bold/ Italic font face, then on clicking Bold/ Italic button, faux bold or faux Italic would get applied. For example, clicking Bold button if applied font was Avenir Heavy, would result faux bold getting applied. Faux bold or faux Italic is not advisable during print output, hence it was advised not to click Bold, Italic button for print safe file. Faux styling is indicated on the Bold/ Italic button using a small warning icon over the button.

Now, in QuarkXPress 2018, font styles are mapped to their true font faces (i.e.) the font face available within the font style, hence the chances of inadvertently faux bold or faux Italic getting applied have reduced. Be assured, that if a Bold or Italic button gets pressed on selecting a font style, then the font style itself has a bold/ Italic font face. You don't need to click Bold/ Italic button to remove it. You just need to use the font styles menu. Leave the Bold/ Italic buttons aside. If you use the Bold/ Italic button, there are chances that faux styling get applied if font family doesn't have a font style with a bold/ Italic font face.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 19 May 2019, 11:59

:lol: :lol: :lol: To surmise When people didn't know what to press or not to get the bold font there were lots of people getting faux bold, quark have now made it less likely that people who don't know what they are doing will get faux bold. :idea: :idea: :idea: :D

People who did know what they were doing now no longer can be sure they know what they are doing. :!: Also they need to know whether the font actually has a bold face and whether their particular variant of activated system font is working correctly, then they need to make an educated guess as to whether the bold font button will cause faux or not because neither the faux warnings nor previous button behaviours is valid anymore. I'm super glad I don't see native Quark files very often at work anymore and can only suggest that people like me at the pre-press end spell out the customer's responsibility to carefully check proof pdfs for content. :(

You have pretty much the same behaviour in the Adobe apps, and with Ai and Ps Fonts; using the wrong font is just as easy, but at least with InDesign's Document fonts folder and Find Font extra info panel you've got a few more clues as to where the font is coming from.

shaun

Post by shaun » 22 May 2019, 03:02

Another problem is that when you open an older file (2017 for example) Qx2018 will often add the bold faux to the bold already in use.
I have to check very carefully when opening an older file to prevent inappropriate emboldening or italicising (or both).

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”