Type oversetting

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Justina

Type oversetting

Post by Justina » 12 Oct 2005, 10:02

What would cause type to overset on one computer and not another? We've compared all the preferences on the computers and made sure they match. I've collected the font and made sure they were using the same font. The job was typed on one computer, and when it was opened on 3 other computers the type was overset. Is there something else to check for?
Thanks, Justina

HappyDancingSnoopy

Type oversetting

Post by HappyDancingSnoopy » 12 Oct 2005, 10:15

very odd. A few things I would check:

Are they all the same versions of Quark? The same Operating system (Mac Win)?

Do the H & J settings carry over?

Is the style sheet set to Normal and pickig up that chainge?

What Fnt management are you using? Are you sure another version of the font is not loading prior to the one you want to use?

Justina

Type oversetting

Post by Justina » 12 Oct 2005, 11:14

All computers are Macs, OS10.3.9, Quark 6.5, H&J's are all the same. We don't use style sheets. All Using Font Reserve 3.1.3. I've removed all the extra Helvetica fonts from all the computers and loaded the same one. So they all use the same one.

HappyDancingSnoopy

Type oversetting

Post by HappyDancingSnoopy » 12 Oct 2005, 11:34

The text could be using the default Style Sheet "Normal" and the setting s may be different between systems.

Also Helvetica is a font that comes with the system and is considered a system font. It could be in a few different places.

I am not familure enough with Font Resurve does it allow managing of "system" fonts?

larsen67

Type oversetting

Post by larsen67 » 13 Oct 2005, 03:26

Another posibility although i have never used it is the "tracking edit" go to utilities and choose this select the font your having problems with and see if any have anything other than a flat line, if so reset on all machines so that this matches. Do you have any warning messages when opening the doc Use XPress Preferences/Keep Project Settings?

HappyDancingSnoopy

Type oversetting

Post by HappyDancingSnoopy » 14 Oct 2005, 07:06

Any luck solving this? Because now you have Jinxed me. I had a designer working on a project, then asked another designer to work on it on a different system and sure enough. TEXT OVERFLOW!

I got the document open on both machines, and all the setting ans the font Being used (Myriad Pro Black) were identical.

Worrysome indeed.

tony p

Type oversetting

Post by tony p » 18 Oct 2005, 03:31

Not sure if this sheds any light or not...

I find that if I copy text created/laid out/formatted in one doc and pasted into a new one, selective word-space adjustments made via keyboard short-cuts don't survive the cut-and-paste, which inevitably causes some re-flow and consequent overrun.

I hadn't noticed this happening just by opening the same doc on another machine - but could something similar be at work here?

marcusstringer

Type oversetting

Post by marcusstringer » 19 Oct 2005, 18:24

This propably doesn't help, but, the Myriad fonts causes us no end of problems.

Justina

Re: Type oversetting

Post by Justina » 11 May 2018, 13:33

I'm still having this issue with Quark2017. If I work on a file and the text flows to the edge of the text box without oversetting on my computer, when someone on another computer (same OS, same version of Quark) opens the exact same file the type that was edge to edge on my computer now oversets on theirs. I always have to make sure my type is well inside the text box. So same problem over the last 3-4 years. There's got to be a setting turned on on one computer and not on another.

UtahLlama

Re: Type oversetting

Post by UtahLlama » 12 May 2018, 08:15

Hi Justina
totes impressed if you are the original poster from 2005, you may now have set a new record :!:
pretty much check all the same suggestions as 2005.
check exact
Same Computer OS
Same version dot release of QXPress
which fonts?, find the active ones using the finder and Command-i to check exact dot release and creation dates, you may also get more info from a Font Management app?
check out kurt langs guide to fonts if you are using Mac's

going back to 2005 I can not remember which Quark you'd have been using but I remember having terrible issues with these problems with Q7 dot releases

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”